We are excited to announce that Teach For America, St. Louis is hosting a two-day conference to recruit local and national alumni for key school and district leadership roles across the region. During this two day conference, local and national alumni will participate in two days of intensive community immersion, networking and interviews for key school and district leadership roles.
On Saturday, March 5th, we’re inviting all local corps members and alumni to join this group for a half-day of shared learning and networking with some of our key hiring partners. Join us for keynotes and breakout sessions with local education leaders and expand your knowledge about the future of the education movement in St. Louis! Learn more below, and register here.
The schedule for the day will be as follows:
9:00AM-10:00AM Opening Keynote– Local Superintendents Panel, featuring Dr. Kelvin Adams, St. Louis Public Schools and Dr. Charles Pearson, Normandy Schools Collaborative.
10:15AM-11:15AM Breakout Session #1
11:15AM-12:15PM Breakout Session #2
12:30PM-1:30PM Lunch Keynote– Forward through Ferguson: Reflections from Brittany Packnett & Rich McClure
1:30PM-2:00PM Open Networking with Hiring Partners
From 10:15 am- 12:15 pm you will choose your own adventure during two breakout sessions:
- Breakout Session #1:
- Better Together STL: Local Government Fragmentation– How does fragmentation affect the lives of people in St. Louis City and St. Louis County? This session will provide a brief overview of Better Together’s studies in public finance, economic development, public health, public safety, parks and recreation, and finally general administration. Some historic context about the divisions and fragmentation in the St. Louis region will also be covered.
- School Leadership in St. Louis—Hear from a panel of district & charter school leaders in St. Louis about their trials, victories and plans for the future. Panelists will include Anna Westlund (DC ’11), Principal of Carver Elementary, TarynAnn Barry (NYC ’09), Principal at EAGLE College Prep, and Joe Olwig (Charlotte ’09), Principal at KIPP Inspire.
- Breakout Session #2:
- Optimizing Student Growth By Increasing School Leader Retention and Effectiveness in SLPS, Last year, Saint Louis Public Schools District developed its first iteration of a Framework for School Leadership to drive talent recruitment, development, effectiveness and recognition work toward a common purpose. This session will provide an in-depth overview of the current work being developed and/or mobilized in the district in 2015-16.
- Missouri Charter Commission—Learn about the past, present and future of charter schools in Missouri and meet appointed officials who are driving key changes in the charter landscape. The session will be presented by Robbyn Wahby, Executive Director of the Missouri Public Charter Schools Commission and Alicia Herald (LA ’05), appointed member of the Commission.You’ll also hear from a panel of leaders who are driving charter expansion forward in St. Louis City, leading networks with major expansion plans over the next five years. Panelists include Mike Malone, Executive Director at St. Louis College Prep, Matt Hoehner, Executive Director at EAGLE College Prep and Jeremy Esposito (New Jersey ’04), Chief Academic Officer for KIPP St. Louis.
- Ready by 21 St. Louis– Ready by 21 St. Louis is a regional effort to align programs, policies, and investments in order to achieve better life outcomes for children and youth. Participants will learn more about this collaboration that brings together education, health, workforce, justice, and community systems to act in new ways. Alumni will have an opportunity to speak into the planning process currently underway. Session will be facilitated by Ready by 21’s Director, Katie Kaufmann (STL ’03).
Please join us for this day of learning and community building!