Time flies when you’re having fun. It’s an old cliche, but I’ve found it to be very true in my short tenure at TFA. As we kick-off today’s Alumni Giving Campaign, I’ve found myself reflecting on what we’ve accomplished together in the alumni movement over the past thirteen months. Check it out:
- Launched an expanded Alumni Advisory Board, with 14 alums chairing action-oriented committees that have collectively planned dozens of events for alums over the past year.
- Established the St. Louis chapter of The Collective, the national alumni of color association.
- Held two alum community service events and one community education event on Early Childhood Education.
- Introduced the Beyond Two Campaign for our 2012 corps members, aiding them in thinking about post-corps career opportunities in St. Louis. Six career pathways groups being fully led by alums working in those fields.
- Established a new pilot program for alumni teachers: the Alumni School Captains Cabinet. Nine alums are participating in the program, receiving intensive professional development and working towards tangible outcomes in their schools over the course of the year.
- Sent three alums to attend LEE’s National Organizing Workshop in North Carolina last fall.
- Had nearly 80% of our alumni base complete the 2013 Alumni Survey.
- Held one-on-one meetings with nearly 250 alumni to gather input on the future direction of the alumni movement in St. Louis.
- Celebrated the achievements of two alumni teachers (Sam Lurie, STL ’08 and Ashley Odham, NYC ’06) who were regional finalists for Teach For America’s Alumni Excellence in Teaching Award and sent over a dozen alums to Detroit for the first Annual Alumni Awards & Educators Conference.
Sooo… what’s next?! Check out our draft FY15 Strategic Plan to find out, and send me feedback! Your voice matters.
Mallory Rusch is the Director of Alumni Leadership for Teach For America- St. Louis (and just adopted this cute new puppy, Charlotte!).